Rep. Aguilar Supports Comprehensive Gun Safety Package
Critical Commonsense Gun Safety Measures that Will Save Lives
WASHINGTON, DC — This week, Rep. Aguilar voted to pass the Protecting Our Kids Act (H.R. 7910), a comprehensive, common-sense legislative package that will save the lives of Americans.
“Since the attack in Buffalo, New York just 25 days ago, there have been over 40 mass shootings, including the horrific murder of innocent school children in Uvalde, Texas” said Rep. Aguilar. “There have already been more than 1,000 gun violence deaths this year. Each one of these individuals is someone’s family member or loved one. By raising the age to purchase assault rifles and cracking down on illegal gun trafficking, lives will be saved. It is past time for us to take decisive action to stop this bloodshed and prioritize the safety of our children.”
The Protecting Our Kids Act will reduce gun violence by:
- Raising the age to purchase semi-automatic weapons from 18 to 21 years old,
- Closing the ghost gun loophole,
- Cracking down on gun trafficking to get illegal guns off our streets,
- Outlawing high-capacity magazines and bump stocks for civilian use,
- Strengthening safe storage requirements to reduce accidental shootings
- and requiring an annual report of demographic data of those deemed ineligible to purchase guns.
In 2021, Rep. Aguilar voted to pass the Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2021 and the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2021.
Rep. Aguilar serves as Vice Chair of the House Democratic Caucus and as a member of the House Committee on Appropriations.